Washington, April 26 (SANA) U.S. President Donald Trump said a shooting incident during the White House Correspondents’ Dinner at a Washington hotel on Saturday was likely carried out by a lone attacker, adding that he may have been the intended target.
Speaking at a press conference at the White House after being evacuated from the venue along with senior officials, Trump said the suspect, a man from California in his 30s, had been arrested and appeared to be acting alone, with no indication of support from any group.
He said preliminary assessments do not suggest a link to Iran, while stressing that a full investigation is underway to determine the motives behind the attack.
Trump noted that the gunman did not reach his location after security forces intervened quickly and prevented him from breaching security lines. One officer was injured at close range and is receiving treatment, he added.
The incident caused panic among attendees, with hundreds taking cover before authorities confirmed that the shooting occurred near the main security screening area and that the suspect was in custody.
Trump called for resolving political differences through peaceful means, saying the incident should serve as a moment for national unity rather than division.
Federal prosecutor Jeanine Pirro said the suspect is expected to appear in court on Monday and will face charges including using a firearm during a violent crime and assaulting a federal officer.
Trump added that the incident would not deter him from what he described as “winning the war on Iran,” while reiterating that he does not believe the attack is connected to Tehran based on current information.
The incident comes months after an attempted assassination during an election rally in Pennsylvania in July 2024, underscoring ongoing security concerns
R.D/ABD