Warsaw, March 21 (SANA) Poland has withdrawn its military contingent from Iraq amid a deteriorating security situation in the Middle East, linked to escalating war involving the United States, Israel and Iran.
Polish Defense Minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz said in a post on the platform X late Friday that the decision followed a comprehensive assessment of potential risks, confirming that all Polish soldiers had been evacuated from Iraq.
Kosiniak-Kamysz said the evacuation was carried out in coordination with Poland’s NATO allies. A spokesperson for the Polish Armed Forces command confirmed that more than 100 soldiers had returned to Poland.
Poland deployed around 2,000 troops to Iraq in 2003 as part of the so-called “Coalition of the Willing,” which supported the U.S.-led invasion. Its military presence later continued in training and advisory roles.
NATO said on Friday it was withdrawing its advisory mission from Iraq following attacks targeting foreign forces at bases in northern Iraq. Hundreds of mission personnel were relocated to Europe as a precaution.
F.J.