Riyadh, July 23 (SANA) Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif discussed regional developments and efforts to reduce tensions and strengthen security and stability during a phone call on Thursday.
According to the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), Sharif condemned the attack by Yemen’s Houthi militia on a Saudi commercial vessel in the Red Sea and denounced threats to freedom of navigation in the waterway.
Sharif reaffirmed Pakistan’s “firm and unwavering” support for Saudi Arabia’s security and sovereignty, the agency reported.
Earlier on Thursday, Saudi Arabia’s General Transport Authority said a commercial vessel operated by a Saudi company was directly targeted while sailing in the Red Sea, causing a fire in its bow. The authority said all crew members were safe and no injuries were reported.
The Houthi militia escalated its threats against maritime navigation in the region on Monday, announcing what it called a maritime blockade against Saudi Arabia.
The move has drawn international warnings over threats to shipping and freedom of navigation.
R.D/ABD