By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)
  • Latest News
  • Syria
  • Middle East
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • International
Reading: ICC, UN reject U.S. sanctions on court officials as threat to rule of law
  • AR
  • TR
  • FR
  • ES
  • KU
  • Culture
  • Video
  • Photos
  • Miscellaneous
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)
  • Latest News
  • Syria
  • Middle East
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • International
Search
  • Latest News
  • News Categories
    • Politics
    • Culture
    • Video
    • Photos
    • Miscellaneous
  • Provinces
  •  Languages
    • العربية
    • Türkçe
    • Français
    • Español
    • Kurdî
Follow US
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) > Latest News > International > ICC, UN reject U.S. sanctions on court officials as threat to rule of law

ICC, UN reject U.S. sanctions on court officials as threat to rule of law

Published: 2026/08/20 1:33 PM
Updated: 2026/08/20 1:33 PM
ICC, UN reject U.S. sanctions on court officials as threat to rule of law
The International Criminal Court (ICC) headquarters in The Hague, Netherlands. File photo: ICC.

Capitals, Aug. 20 (SANA) The International Criminal Court (ICC) and United Nations rejected new U.S. sanctions on senior court officials, warning they threaten the rule of law and efforts to secure justice for victims.

In an August 19 statement, the ICC condemned sanctions against its president, Japanese Judge Tomoko Akane, and Senegalese Abdoulaye Seye, Senior Trial Lawyer at the Office of the Prosecutor, calling them a “flagrant attack” on the independence of an impartial judicial institution.

The court said the United States is now sanctioning nine of its 18 judges, both deputy prosecutors, a former prosecutor and one staff member.

“When judicial actors are threatened for applying the law, it is the international legal order itself that is placed at risk,” the ICC said, adding that coercive measures also affect victims’ ability to seek justice.

The court said it remained undeterred and would continue its mandate independently and impartially under the Rome Statute, standing behind its personnel and victims of “unimaginable atrocities.”

UN Secretary-General António Guterres expressed serious concern over the sanctions. UN spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric said the UN considers the ICC “a key pillar of international criminal justice.”

The UN Human Rights Office called for the “unacceptable new sanctions” to be lifted, while UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk urged states to defend institutions protecting human rights and the rule of law.

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced the sanctions Tuesday against Akane and Seye over their involvement in proceedings against officials whose governments have not accepted the court’s jurisdiction.

The United States, which is not a party to the Rome Statute, has previously sanctioned ICC officials and last month accused the court of “threatening” Americans and called on its partners to withdraw from it.

R.A/M.F

Arab League condemns ongoing Israeli attacks on Lebanon
Arab Peace Group slams US envoy’s remarks backing Israeli expansion
Russia says it downed 419 Ukrainian drones overnight
One killed, 9 injured in armed attack in Pakistan
Israel threatens to target any successor to Iran’s Supreme Leader
  • press
  • Photos
  • Video
  • Miscellaneous
TAGGED:Abdoulaye SeyeAntónio GuterresInternational Criminal CourtTomoko AkaneUnited NationsVolker Türk
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Telegram Copy Link

Editors Choice

Syria’s Interior Ministry: Investigator detained over Ghamira’s death

Syria’s Interior Ministry: Investigator detained over Ghamira’s death

August 20, 2026
Syria through SANA’s lens: Images tell a nation’s story
8

Syria through SANA’s lens: Images tell a nation’s story

August 20, 2026
Five killed, 27 injured in road accidents and fires across Syria

Five killed, 27 injured in road accidents and fires across Syria

August 20, 2026
IOM: Nearly 200,000 displaced as fighting, devastating floods hit Sudan

IOM: Nearly 200,000 displaced as fighting, devastating floods hit Sudan

August 20, 2026
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)

Syrian Arab News Agency – SANA

The official national news agency of Syria, established on June 24, 1965. It is affiliated with the Ministry of Information and headquartered in Damascus.

  • Presidency
  • Politics
  • Syria
  • Economy
  • Health
  • International
  • Education
  • Culture
  • Sport
  • Tour Syria
  • press
  • Photos
  • Video
  • Miscellaneous
© Syrian Arab News Agency. All rights reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?