Damascus, April 24 (SANA) Syrian Information Minister Hamza al-Mustafa said on Friday that the arrest of the Amjad Youssef, identified as a perpetrator of the Tadamon massacre, represents a step forward in the country’s pursuit of transitional justice.
In a post on the social media platform X, al-Mustafa said the arrest, carried out by public security forces, “constitutes an initial victory for the souls of the martyrs” and a form of moral recognition for their families and those who suffered during that period.
He described the move as “a fundamental step on the path of transitional justice,” aimed at holding accountable those responsible for serious violations against Syrians.
Al-Mustafa also expressed appreciation for the efforts of the Interior Ministry and security personnel involved in the operation, saying the development had brought a sense of relief to many Syrians after years of hardship.
“The path to justice begins here,” he said, adding that accountability is essential to building a state where human life is protected and the rule of law is upheld.
Earlier on Friday, the Interior Ministry announced the arrest of Youssef in a security operation carried out in the al-Ghab Plain in the Hama countryside.
Authorities had previously detained several individuals linked to the April 2013 Tadamon massacre, who confessed to involvement in multiple killings in the neighborhood, where more than 500 civilians were executed.
F.J./R.K.