By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)
  • Latest News
  • Syria
  • Middle East
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • International
Reading: Trump threatens Iran over proxies and Hormuz as Bürgenstock talks begin
  • AR
  • TR
  • FR
  • ES
  • KU
  • Culture
  • Video
  • Photos
  • Miscellaneous
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)
  • Latest News
  • Syria
  • Middle East
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • International
Search
  • Latest News
  • News Categories
    • Politics
    • Culture
    • Video
    • Photos
    • Miscellaneous
  • Provinces
  •  Languages
    • العربية
    • Türkçe
    • Français
    • Español
    • Kurdî
Follow US
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) > Latest News > International > Trump threatens Iran over proxies and Hormuz as Bürgenstock talks begin

Trump threatens Iran over proxies and Hormuz as Bürgenstock talks begin

Published: 2026/06/21 7:52 PM
Updated: 2026/06/21 7:52 PM
Trump threatens Iran over proxies and Hormuz as Bürgenstock talks begin
U.S. President Donald Trump speaking on current diplomatic efforts and regional security. Archive

Capitals, June 21 (SANA) U.S. President Donald Trump escalated political and military rhetoric toward Iran on Sunday as direct negotiations between the two sides opened at the Swiss resort of Bürgenstock, focusing on implementing a memorandum of understanding and advancing toward a final agreement.

In remarks to Fox News on Sunday, Trump urged Iran to halt support for its allies in Lebanon, warning of further strikes if it does not comply. He said Iran must “immediately stop their highly paid proxies in Lebanon from causing trouble,” adding that the United States “will hit Iran very hard again, just like we did last week, only harder.”

Trump also intensified warnings regarding the Strait of Hormuz, a key global energy corridor, stating that any attempt to close it would have severe consequences. He said such a move would mean “you won’t have a country,” and suggested the United States could take control of the strait or impose tolls on vessels if necessary.

He further warned Iranian negotiators that pursuing closure of the strait would lead to serious repercussions, saying they “won’t even make it back to your country.”

The escalation followed comments by Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, who said Iran would not relinquish its right to enrich uranium, describing it as a position the opposing side must accept.

Responding to those remarks, Trump said, “He better watch his mouth,” signaling the possibility of tougher measures if Iran does not make what he described as serious commitments during negotiations. He added that the current memorandum of understanding represents a temporary framework rather than a final agreement.

In contrast, U.S. Vice President JD Vance struck a more diplomatic tone, saying the administration aims to open a “new page” with Iran and pursue long-term changes in bilateral relations. He noted that the talks mark a first direct engagement to address outstanding issues.

According to Axios, U.S. and Iranian negotiators held direct discussions with Qatari mediation, as Washington seeks to conclude the first round by facilitating access for United Nations inspectors to Iranian nuclear sites affected during recent conflict.

The report added that the United States is considering granting Iran partial access to frozen funds in exchange for practical steps related to the nuclear file.

Qatar and Pakistan, participating in mediation efforts, said the talks represent the beginning of a negotiation path toward a comprehensive and sustainable agreement. Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif described the discussions as an opportunity to enhance regional peace and stability.

The Lebanese file remains a central focus of the negotiations amid continued tensions along the border. Vance said progress on a ceasefire in Lebanon is a priority alongside discussions on Iran’s nuclear program.

Meanwhile, the Strait of Hormuz continues to serve as a key pressure point between the two sides, with indications of reduced maritime traffic and the absence of some oil and gas tankers from transit routes in recent hours, raising concerns in global energy markets.

M.Q.R

SANA and Saudi SPA sign MoU to enhance media cooperation
Guterres marks dialogue day, calls for unity amid global challenges
OIC condemns Somaliland embassy opening in Occupied Jerusalem
Russia’s Vershinin congratulates Syria on Liberation Day, pledges continued support
Israeli-Iranian military escalation enters its 2nd week
  • press
  • Photos
  • Video
  • Miscellaneous
TAGGED:ceasefireDiplomacyIranLebanonPakistanQatarStrait of HormuzSwitzerlandUnited States
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Telegram Copy Link

Editors Choice

SANA after liberation: National media outlet rebuilding its relationship with Syrians

SANA after liberation: National media outlet rebuilding its relationship with Syrians

August 20, 2026
A year through SANA’s lens: Highlights from major events
9

A year through SANA’s lens: Highlights from major events

August 20, 2026
Aleppo hosts Sylex 3 leather and footwear exhibition with Syrian, Turkish firms

Aleppo hosts Sylex 3 leather and footwear exhibition with Syrian, Turkish firms

August 20, 2026
Al-Shaibani: Pakistan visit a historic step to open new avenues for cooperation

Al-Shaibani: Pakistan visit a historic step to open new avenues for cooperation

August 20, 2026
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)

Syrian Arab News Agency – SANA

The official national news agency of Syria, established on June 24, 1965. It is affiliated with the Ministry of Information and headquartered in Damascus.

  • Presidency
  • Politics
  • Syria
  • Economy
  • Health
  • International
  • Education
  • Culture
  • Sport
  • Tour Syria
  • press
  • Photos
  • Video
  • Miscellaneous
© Syrian Arab News Agency. All rights reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?