Paris, March 1 (SANA) Two major global shipping companies have suspended operations in the Gulf as military exchanges between the United States, Israel and Iran intensify, raising concerns over disruptions to global trade and energy supplies.
French shipping group CMA CGM told vessels in the Gulf to “seek shelter” and suspended transits through the Suez Canal, rerouting ships around the Cape of Good Hope — adding thousands of kilometers to voyages. Germany’s Hapag-Lloyd, the world’s fifth-largest container carrier, halted sailings through the Strait of Hormuz until further notice, while Maersk and other firms warned customers of potential delays.
Iran’s Tasnim news agency reported that the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps had sent radio messages warning ships not to transit the Strait of Hormuz. The United States has also advised its vessels to avoid the Gulf amid ongoing military operations.
The Strait of Hormuz is a critical chokepoint for global energy markets. About 20 million barrels of oil per day — roughly 20 percent of global consumption — passed through it in 2024, along with nearly one-fifth of global liquefied natural gas supplies, most from Qatar.
Oman’s Maritime Security Centre said an oil tanker flying the flag of Palau was attacked near Musandam in northern Oman. All 20 crew members were evacuated, and four were injured. Earlier, Omani officials said the port of Duqm had been targeted by two drones as regional exchanges entered a second day.
