Pyongyang, SANA- The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) has threatened to launch a “pre-emptive nuclear strike” against the United States and South Korea if the countries conduct joint military exercises scheduled to start on Monday.
“The army and people of the DPRK will launch an all-out offensive to decisively counter the US and its followers’ hysterical nuclear war drills” aimed at undermining the DPRK’s sovereignty, The DPRK National Defense Commission said in a statement published by the official Korean Central News Agency “KCNA”.
The threat came just days after the DPRK Leader Kim Jong Un ordered the country’s nuclear arsenal to be placed on standby, in response to the sanctions resolution adopted last week by the UN Security Council.
The statement pointed out that the ” pre-emptive nuclear strike will be included in the statement of the Supreme Command of the Koran People’s Army .
Earlier, the DPRK Foreign Ministry denounced , in a statement, the Washington-Seoul military exercises considering them a serious war scheme that reveals the aggressive intentions of the enemy.
The Leader Kim Jong Un said that the only way to defend the country’s sovereignty is to further strengthen nuclear forces in quality and the military should be prepared to deliver nuclear warheads at any time.
The annual exercises slated to begin Monday – called “Foal Eagle” and “Key Resolve” last for weeks and involve tens of thousands of US and South Korean troops.