Luxembourg, Apr.21 (SANA) EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Kaja Kallas, said on Tuesday that European Union foreign ministers have reiterated their support for Syria’s transitional phase during a meeting held in Brussels.
Speaking at a press conference following the meeting, Kallas said the EU would continue its support for Syria, noting that the European Commission had proposed a full resumption of the EU-Syria partnership agreement dating back to 1978.
She added that further support measures would be discussed next month.
Kallas also pointed out that Syria remains largely insulated from the ongoing regional war, but warned that risks to its stability still persist.
Earlier, the European Commission announced in a statement that it had submitted a proposal to the European Council to resume the agreement signed with Syria in 1978, which had been suspended in 2011 over human rights violations committed by the deposed regime.
According to the Commission, the agreement constitutes a framework for cooperation between the EU and Syria, having supported economic and social development, strengthened trade relations, eliminated customs duties on most Syrian industrial exports to the EU, and prevented quantitative restrictions on both sides.
A/Dh