Geneva, Aug. 23 (SANA) Doctors Without Borders (MSF) condemned an Israeli military prosecutor’s decision to close two cases involving deadly attacks on its personnel and their families in Gaza without opening criminal investigations.
MSF said the cases concerned attacks on its convoy in Gaza City in November 2023, which killed two people, and an airstrike on its shelter in Khan Younis in February 2024, which killed two people and injured six others.
The organization said the decision came nearly two years after it requested reviews and petitioned Israel’s Supreme Court over the military prosecutor’s failure to respond.
MSF said the closure of the cases “raises more questions than it answers,” stressing that a military institution investigating its own actions cannot replace independent and impartial accountability.
MSF said staff members and relatives were killed despite their locations being known and its vehicles being clearly marked. Based on information it gathered, the organization said all indications pointed to Israeli occupation forces being responsible for the attacks.
It said the decision demonstrated, in its view, the lack of prospects for accountability within the Israeli legal system, amid what MSF described as the “ongoing genocide against Palestinians.”
MSF reiterated that “no military objective can justify the mass sacrifice of civilians” and called for the cases to be referred to an independent and impartial investigative body.
The organization said 15 of its staff members have been killed in Gaza by Israeli occupation forces since October 2023.
MSF had previously said information it gathered on the Gaza City convoy attack pointed to Israeli military responsibility and called for an independent investigation.
R.D/MF