Damascus, SANA-Khan Asa’ad Basha in old Damascus is considered as one of the greatest and most marvelous edifices in the Orient whether in respect to its area or in regards to its Islamic structure feature.
The khan, that was chosen by Ministry of Culture to host the activity of “Culture in your House” and is located to the south of the Omayyad mosque, dates back to nearly 270 years.
It was established in 1753 on the debris of Omayyad shops and palaces.
Governor of Damascus, Asa’ad Basha al-Azem, order the building of the Khan at that time on an area of 2500 m2 to become as a main center for merchants as Damascus was one of the most important destinations along the Silk road.
Khan Asa’ad Basha al-Azem consists of two floors, the basement includes 40 rooms that are dedicated to store goods while the second story includes 44 rooms which were meant to host people as accommodation.
In 1757 Damascus witnessed a big earthquake which destroyed most parts of the Khan.
At the beginning of the 19th century, merchants of al-Bozoriyah popular market opened and restored it.