By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)
  • Latest News
  • Syria
  • Middle East
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • International
Reading: OPCW: Working with Syria to ensure Ghouta tragedy is not repeated
  • AR
  • TR
  • FR
  • ES
  • KU
  • Culture
  • Video
  • Photos
  • Miscellaneous
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)
  • Latest News
  • Syria
  • Middle East
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • International
Search
  • Latest News
  • News Categories
    • Politics
    • Culture
    • Video
    • Photos
    • Miscellaneous
  • Provinces
  •  Languages
    • العربية
    • Türkçe
    • Français
    • Español
    • Kurdî
Follow US
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) > Latest News > Syria > OPCW: Working with Syria to ensure Ghouta tragedy is not repeated

OPCW: Working with Syria to ensure Ghouta tragedy is not repeated

Published: 2026/08/21 7:48 PM
Updated: 2026/08/22 12:26 AM
OPCW: Working with Syria to ensure Ghouta tragedy is not repeated
The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons headquarters in The Hague. File photo: AFP

The Hague, Aug. 21 (SANA) The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) has reaffirmed its commitment to working with Syria and member states to ensure the tragedies caused by chemical weapons use are not repeated, with the 13th anniversary of the Ghouta chemical attack serving as a stark reminder of the need to uphold the global norm against such weapons.

In a post on X on Friday, OPCW Director-General Sabrina Dallafior said: “On the anniversary of the 2013 chemical weapons attack in Ghouta, my thoughts are with the victims and survivors, their families, and all those who have suffered from chemical weapons use in Syria and beyond.”

On the anniversary of the 2013 chemical weapons attack in #Ghouta, my thoughts are with the victims and survivors, their families, and all those who have suffered from chemical weapons use in #Syria and beyond.

Their suffering is a stark reminder of why we must never take the… pic.twitter.com/dE66d0Zyjx

— Sabrina Dallafior (@OPCW_DG) August 21, 2026

Dallafior said she discussed this week with Syria’s Permanent Representative to the OPCW, Ambassador Mohamad Katoub, the next steps in joint work, noting that recent progress—including the discovery of previously undeclared chemical munitions—demonstrates the scale of work remaining, while also showing what can be achieved through serious cooperation between the two sides.

She expressed her commitment as OPCW Director-General to working with Syria and all member states to ensure chemical weapons never cause such suffering again.

Earlier Friday, Foreign Minister Asaad Hassan al-Shaibani revealed that Syria will begin a new phase in dealing with the legacy of chemical weapons through technical procedures in cooperation with international partners.

On Aug. 21, 2013, the deposed regime launched a sarin gas attack on Eastern and Western Ghouta, killing more than 1,400 civilians, including 200 children and women, and injuring thousands with suffocation and poisoning, in one of the most horrific crimes committed against Syrians.

Following the fall of the ousted regime in December 2024, Syria committed to fulfilling its obligations under the Chemical Weapons Convention and has taken concrete steps to cooperate with the OPCW.

The Syrian government continues to pursue those involved in the massacre, while working to eliminate the chemical legacy of the deposed regime.

Kh.A / H.H

Germany continues Humanitarian Support for Syria
Syrian-Jordanian discussions on strengthening cooperation in Communications and informa
Syria activates unified national early warning system for disasters
Damascus steps up food safety checks ahead of Ramadan
Security operation saves five citizens in Daraa countryside
  • press
  • Photos
  • Video
  • Miscellaneous
TAGGED:Chemical weaponsGhouta massacreOPCWSyria
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Telegram Copy Link

Editors Choice

Israeli attacks on Lebanon kill 4,348 since March 2, health ministry says

Israeli attacks on Lebanon kill 4,348 since March 2, health ministry says

August 22, 2026
Emergency Ministry warns of rising Euphrates water levels in Raqqa, Deir Ezzor

Emergency Ministry warns of rising Euphrates water levels in Raqqa, Deir Ezzor

August 22, 2026
At least 13 Tunisians missing after migrant boat sinks off Tunisia

At least 13 Tunisians missing after migrant boat sinks off Tunisia

August 22, 2026
Türkiye slams Israeli Prime Minister’s Office over remarks targeting President Erdogan

Türkiye slams Israeli Prime Minister’s Office over remarks targeting President Erdogan

August 22, 2026
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)

Syrian Arab News Agency – SANA

The official national news agency of Syria, established on June 24, 1965. It is affiliated with the Ministry of Information and headquartered in Damascus.

  • Presidency
  • Politics
  • Syria
  • Economy
  • Health
  • International
  • Education
  • Culture
  • Sport
  • Tour Syria
  • press
  • Photos
  • Video
  • Miscellaneous
© Syrian Arab News Agency. All rights reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?