Damascus, Aug. 20 (SANA) Interior Minister Anas Khattab said that he has followed the case of young man, Mohammad Ghamira, from the very beginning and directed the formation of a committee to investigate the circumstances surrounding his death.
“The committee completed its work and announced the investigation results during today’s press conference, concluding that a violation by one of the investigators had been confirmed, with legal action taken against him and his referral to the competent judiciary,” Khattab said on Thursday.
He added that over the past days, the ministry has faced many accusations and doubts regarding its position on the case, but it chose to let the investigation and facts speak for themselves.
“Today, it has proven that its position was not about protecting anyone or evading responsibility, but rather a commitment to reaching the truth and holding accountable anyone found to have committed a violation,” the Minister added.
He went on to say that the confirmed violation is categorically unacceptable and cannot be justified under any circumstances. The dignity and rights of citizens are not subject to compromise, and any misconduct by a ministry employee does not represent the institution.
“We rose against the ousted tyrannical regime because of injustice and impunity. Therefore, building a state based on the rule of law begins with our ability to hold wrongdoers accountable, ensure justice for those harmed, and avoid wronging anyone whose responsibility has not been proven,” the Minister concluded.
MZN