By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)
  • Latest News
  • Syria
  • Middle East
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • International
Reading: Syria’s Information Ministry rejects New York Times report on alleged abductions
  • AR
  • TR
  • FR
  • ES
  • KU
  • Culture
  • Video
  • Photos
  • Miscellaneous
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)
  • Latest News
  • Syria
  • Middle East
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • International
Search
  • Latest News
  • News Categories
    • Politics
    • Culture
    • Video
    • Photos
    • Miscellaneous
  • Provinces
  •  Languages
    • العربية
    • Türkçe
    • Français
    • Español
    • Kurdî
Follow US
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) > Latest News > Syria > Syria’s Information Ministry rejects New York Times report on alleged abductions

Syria’s Information Ministry rejects New York Times report on alleged abductions

Published: 2026/04/04 11:59 PM
Updated: 2026/04/05 1:06 AM
Syria's Information Ministry rejects New York Times report on alleged abductions
The statement criticized a recent report published by the New York Times, describing it as lacking the standards of professional investigative journalism - SANA

Damascus, April 4 (SANA) – The Ministry of Information said that the Syrian government takes all reports of abductions or disappearances seriously and is committed to protecting citizens regardless of sect, ethnicity or religion.

In a statement issued Saturday, The foreign media department at the Information Ministry said that every complaint related to abduction cases is investigated by the relevant authorities, noting that the Ministry of Interior established a special investigative committee last July to review complaints and allegations related to such incidents.

The statement criticized a recent report published by the New York Times, describing it as lacking the standards of professional investigative journalism.

According to the statement, much of the report’s evidence relied on anonymous testimonies or accounts from unspecified individuals, without clear links to the cases discussed. It added that the article moved quickly from limited evidence to broad interpretations, portraying the incidents as retaliatory attacks against the Alawite community.

The Foreign Media Department said this approach reflects a pattern of stereotypical narratives, including invoking the image of a “jihadist” actor to fill gaps in evidence and support generalized conclusions. It also noted that the report did not provide clear information about the identities of the alleged perpetrators, relying instead on descriptions of the victims’ psychological conditions.

The department added that prior to publication, it informed the newspaper’s reporter of the Ministry of Interior’s willingness to cooperate and provided access to the findings of the special investigative committee. Authorities also requested details of the cases cited in the report for evidence-based review.

According to the statement, the information provided by the reporter was insufficient to support a comprehensive investigation, although some overlaps were identified with the committee’s findings and were discussed during an extended meeting.

Despite this cooperation, the department said the published article did not include the Ministry of Interior’s findings regarding the cases cited in the report, nor did it present them as a response to the allegations.

Instead, the ministry’s investigative results were referenced only in a general and decontextualized manner, the statement said, resulting in a one-sided presentation lacking cross-verification and undermining a basic principle of investigative journalism.

The department noted that the Ministry of Interior’s investigative committee had already announced its conclusions during a press conference last November, confirming that no evidence was found of systematic abductions of women targeting any group within Syrian society.

Kh.A

Greece condemns terrorist bombing against church in Damascus
Diplomats: EU to Suspend Syria Banking, Energy, Transport Sanctions
Sarouja, Damascus: where heritage meets modern Life
Information Minister Visits Qatar Media Corporation in Doha
Al-Bashir meets a delegation of businessmen and investors in Qatar
  • press
  • Photos
  • Video
  • Miscellaneous
TAGGED:DamascusMinistry of InformationSyriaSyrian Ministry of InformationThe New York Times
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Telegram Copy Link

Editors Choice

Syria, American Swiss International sign MOU to develop livestock facilities

Syria, American Swiss International sign MOU to develop livestock facilities

August 9, 2026
Health Minister, German diplomat discuss health sector cooperation

Health Minister, German diplomat discuss health sector cooperation

August 9, 2026
Slinfah in Latakia countryside, a popular summer destination for families
5

Slinfah in Latakia countryside, a popular summer destination for families

August 9, 2026
Interior minister chairs meeting to review Counter-Terrorism Department's performance

Interior minister chairs meeting to review Counter-Terrorism Department’s performance

August 9, 2026
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)

Syrian Arab News Agency – SANA

The official national news agency of Syria, established on June 24, 1965. It is affiliated with the Ministry of Information and headquartered in Damascus.

  • Presidency
  • Politics
  • Syria
  • Economy
  • Health
  • International
  • Education
  • Culture
  • Sport
  • Tour Syria
  • press
  • Photos
  • Video
  • Miscellaneous
© Syrian Arab News Agency. All rights reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?