By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)
  • Latest News
  • Syria
  • Middle East
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • International
Reading: Syrian official says Hezbollah-linked cell had been monitored for months before arrests
  • AR
  • TR
  • FR
  • ES
  • KU
  • Culture
  • Video
  • Photos
  • Miscellaneous
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)
  • Latest News
  • Syria
  • Middle East
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • International
Search
  • Latest News
  • News Categories
    • Politics
    • Culture
    • Video
    • Photos
    • Miscellaneous
  • Provinces
  •  Languages
    • العربية
    • Türkçe
    • Français
    • Español
    • Kurdî
Follow US
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) > Latest News > Syria > Syrian official says Hezbollah-linked cell had been monitored for months before arrests

Syrian official says Hezbollah-linked cell had been monitored for months before arrests

Published: 2026/05/06 11:31 AM
Updated: 2026/05/06 11:31 AM
Syrian official says Hezbollah-linked cell had been monitored for months before arrests
: Interior Ministry spokesperson Nour al-Din al-Baba. Photo: SANA

Damascus, May 6 (SANA) Syrian authorities had been monitoring a Hezbollah militia-linked cell for three months before dismantling it in coordinated raids across several provinces, Interior Ministry spokesperson Nour al-Din al-Baba said Tuesday.

Speaking to Syria’s al-Ikhbariya television, al-Baba said the investigation began after an attempt to target an internal security unit in Aleppo with an explosive device. He said subsequent investigations revealed that members of the group had entered Syria from Lebanon using forged documents after receiving military training.

According to al-Baba, the cell received training in the use of drones and explosive devices and was preparing attacks in multiple provinces. Security operations later expanded to Damascus countryside, Homs, Hama, Latakia and Aleppo, where simultaneous raids led to the arrest of the suspects.

He said the operation was carried out in coordination between the Interior Ministry and the General Intelligence Directorate, adding that the group possessed advanced equipment, including drones, explosives and surveillance tools.

Al-Baba said the cell members were planning attacks against a range of targets, including senior government officials. He added that the planned operations were disrupted shortly before execution.

The spokesperson identified the leader of the group as Mohammad Mahmoud Abdul Hamid, known as Abu Yaarub, saying he had previously worked with the deposed regime’s military intelligence branch in Aleppo and was later recruited by Hezbollah militia.

Part of the seized weapons cache dated back to the period following the fall of the deposed regime, while other equipment had been supplied by Hezbollah militia, al-Baba said.

He also said tightened border measures had contributed to reducing weapons and drug smuggling as well as the movement of armed groups, adding that Syrian authorities were continuing security coordination with Lebanon.

Earlier Tuesday, the Interior Ministry announced that Syrian authorities had foiled a major terrorist plot and dismantled a Hezbollah militia-linked cell that was planning attacks aimed at destabilizing the country.

N.J/ABD

Economy Minister, CBS Governor inspect new Syrian currency exchange operations
Souq al-Tanabel in al-Shaalan … between luxury of time and necessity of adaptation
One of the main perpetrators of Eastern Ghouta chemical massacre arrested
UNESCO welcomes Germany’s €500,000 support for Syrian heritage projects
Ministry of Communications: collecting personal data will be just through platforms approved by Ministry
  • press
  • Photos
  • Video
  • Miscellaneous
TAGGED:Hezbollah militiaInterior ministrySyriaterrorist cell
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Telegram Copy Link

Editors Choice

Al-Shaibani arrives in Islamabad on first visit by Syrian foreign minister in 19 years

Al-Shaibani arrives in Islamabad on first visit by Syrian foreign minister in 19 years

August 20, 2026
A year through SANA’s lens: Images that narrate Syria’s story
7

A year through SANA’s lens: Images that narrate Syria’s story

August 20, 2026
Syria, international mechanism discuss cooperation on evidence, transitional justice

Syria, international mechanism discuss cooperation on evidence, transitional justice

August 20, 2026
Syria, Saudi Arabia discuss expanding agricultural cooperation, investment

Syria, Saudi Arabia discuss expanding agricultural cooperation, investment

August 19, 2026
Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA)

Syrian Arab News Agency – SANA

The official national news agency of Syria, established on June 24, 1965. It is affiliated with the Ministry of Information and headquartered in Damascus.

  • Presidency
  • Politics
  • Syria
  • Economy
  • Health
  • International
  • Education
  • Culture
  • Sport
  • Tour Syria
  • press
  • Photos
  • Video
  • Miscellaneous
© Syrian Arab News Agency. All rights reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?